The previous farmhouse suffered structural problems and had to be demolished and replaced by a project commissioned by the then President Fernando Henrique Cardoso and his wife, Ruth Cardoso.
For being a couple of intellectuals, the main request was for a very well lit interior, preferably for natural light, to be able to read or write comfortably, because, as they commented, the traditional Brazilian colonial house, with verandas, is usually dark.
At the same time, due to the distance, difficulty of access and lack of resources of the region, we opted for the use of rudimentary technology that did not require any specialized maintenance, which indicated the use of traditional roof, where however we chose by the use of cement tiles chosen for their durability.
We adopted a roof that “floated” over the walls, creating windows for lighting and ventilation on 3 sides of the social area and integration with the kitchen on the other side and without the need to eliminate large verandas.
Part of the demolished house’s wood has been reused, and the electrical and hydraulic pipes are external, apparent and easy to repair.
The living room’s main shelf was also drawn.
Construction – CENPLA – Osmar Penteado de Souza e Silva (1928-2008)